This photograph was taken early on a foggy March morning in 2007 at the edge of a small pond in Renville Park, at Oranmore, Co. Galway. Renville Park is now a public park maintained by Galway County Council but it was previously the demesne of Renville Estate.
The Lynch-Athy family lived in Rinville Castle, a 16th century tower house built on the grounds of the Estate until Rinville House was built in 1820. The tower house still stands in the park and is in very good condition.
Phillip Lynch Athy was the resident of Rinville House in 1824. By 1855 the ownership of Rinville House had passed to Randal Athy. Large portions of the estate were advertised for sale in the Encumbered estates court in 1857. In 1906 Rinville House was owned by Edmond J. Athy and was valued at £43.
Today Renville Park is very popular with walkers and families enjoy the picnic tables and playground which are provided by Galway County Council.