Sligo at 400
On the 26th September 1612 a process was initiated which saw the township of Sligo move away from the control of the local Gaelic lordship of the O’Connors to become a fully independent administrative entity.
The Borough of Sligo was incorporated when King James 1st bestowed by Royal Charter on Sligo the status of ‘Corporate Town’. This first corporation was made up of 12 burgesses or officials who were tasked with selecting a mayor from among their own rank. The Charter also bestowed on Sligo Corporation the ‘‘power and authority to return two discreet and fit men to serve and attend in Parliament.’
This photograph of Sligo includes many landmark buildings which have dominated the town for much of the last century; the Courthouse, Summerhill College, the Cathedral, and the Town Hall.
The past 400 years have seen seismic changes in Sligo town. But throughout this time there has been one unassailable feature on the Sligo horizon and it dominates this photograph - Queen Maeve's Grave on top of Knocknarea mountain.